I’m ready to get out of my comfy, little, warm box! My box is where I’m safe from failure and I don’t have to deal with fear. The problem with my box is there is no room for risk and risk is the only way to get what I want.

Without risk, there is no possibility for triumph. Risk is what produces glorious achievement. When there is no risk, there is no room for growth. If I want the triumphant achievement of growing, I’ve got to take risk. The challenge is; if there is no risk in my comfy, little, warm box, I’ve got to get out of the box.

Writing stories and sharing them with my friends and family is a safe place to be. They all love me and want me to feel good about my writing. Therefore, whatever writing endeavors I reveal to them, they will love and support me. They’ll see the good through the bad and pat me on my back as they tell me how wonderful of a writer I am. The only problem with this is the lack of constructive criticism. Although I get warm and fuzzy feelings when I receive their kudos, I sit stuck in the same old comfy box; unchanged and unchallenged.

In order to grow in my writing, I need to hear the good, the bad, and especially, the ugly! How else am I to improve if I don’t know what needs to be improved? So, I’m stepping out of my box into the unknown. I’m dealing with the fear of failure by looking forward to it. I’m looking forward to having my work critiqued by other writers and reaching that moment when I have the opportunity to learn from my mistakes. After all, it’s our mistakes that teach us the most in life, isn’t it?