I’ve always been one to challenge myself with idealistic goals. Most of the time, I fall short of the perfect vision I have for myself. But the most important thing, I feel, is that I continue to strive for perfection, allowing myself to grow and learn from my mistakes as I keep falling short.

This month, I’ve challenged myself to write a novel. That’s right. A whole novel. I’ll write 50,000 words over 30 days, which converts to about 1700 words per day. I’m following the inspiration of National Novel Writing Month, NaNoWriMo, which takes place each year in November. But of course, I can’t call it “National,” so I’m renaming my own little event “Jenni’s Novel Writing Month” (aka: JenNoWriMo). Since I was up to my eyeballs in picture books last November, I’m jumping in now and I’m going for it.

Luckily, I mentioned my plan to a friend of mine, Paula Yoo, and I found out that she had been planning the same challenge for herself this month. (I guess her event is YooNoWriMo--grin.) You may remember her from last year's NaPiBoWriWee event where we were challenged to write seven picture books in seven days (out of which came my very first manuscript submission). Anyway, knowing she's also on board means that in addition to being accountable to you, my awesome blog followers, I also have a friend going through the same sort of torture at the same time.

I’ll do my best to keep you all updated on my progress. Today I've written 1000 words and as soon as the kids go to bed, I'm in for another 700 words.

Ready? Set? WRITE!