I just found out that I won the SCBWI 2010 Barbara Karlin Runner-Up Grant. This grant is awarded each year to recognize aspiring picture book writers for their work in progress. The Barbara Karlin Grant is funded by Amazon.com and the Runner-Up Grant is funded by a generous donation by Ann Whitford Paul, which I am honored to receive. Thank you Ann!

Much appreciation and thanks to the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and to the 2010 Barbara Karlin Grant Committee! THANK YOU!!!

I applied for the grant, submitting Starry Kalahari as my work in progress. I posted my USPS delivery confirmation receipt to my computer monitor with Scotch tape, taking a hopeful glance daily. It's an amazing thing when hope becomes a reality. 

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon from my SCBWI Assistant Regional Advisor, Q.L. Pearce who shared the exciting news. I can't describe the feeling, except to say that I'm honored, excited, and hopeful to share my books with young, curious minds all over the world... very soon!