Every skate night consists of the same routine; races, boy's skate, girl's skate, song requests and of course, a few slips and trips around the rink.  But my very favorite part of every single skate night is the Hokey Pokey. Because as the song goes, that's what it's all about, right?

Well, I had a Hokey Pokey moment this morning.  While sorting Friday Folders in my daughter's kindergarten class, the teacher asked me if I would read a story to the children.  Of course, that is my favorite place to be in the entire planet.... reading to kids!

I began reading Beatrix Potter's classic, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, to 22 tiny faces.  Those faces were concerned when peter got lost. They were worried when Mr. McGregor chased Peter. They were happy when Peter found his way home. And those 22 tiny faces felt bad for Peter when he missed his supper and had to go to bed early with a tummy ache. Those 22 tiny faces hung on to every word and stared intently at every single illustration.

And you know something? As a writer, I was reminded that spending over two years on a 100 word picture book and editing it over and over (as I'm doing right now) is NOT what it's all about.  It's not about the insecurities of ever getting published. It's not about critique groups, or conferences, or even agents and editors.

It's about looking into 22 tiny faces who are learning, and growing, and loving words.  THAT'S what it's all about. Those tiny faces, filled with excitement and hope and dreams about their world. That's exactly what it's all about.