The "newbie" artist's journey continues. For the past couple of days I've focused on faces.  I started with two larger sketches of my two girls yesterday. The one on the right is of my youngest at about three (I did this one first). The one on the left is of my older daughter when she was about six.  I chose this second photo to sketch as a challenge to myself because she's missing her front teeth here. Not crazy how it turned out, but enjoyed exploring shading and tone.

These are each sketched on 8 1/2 x 11 pieces of copy paper, so they're about 5x7 inches.

Today I splurged and purchased myself some drawing paper.  So my very first sketch in my drawing pad is of my son. He's almost 15 now, but this is sketched from a photo of him at his ninth birthday party.  I found that I had a lot more control over shading and it was much easier to sketch on a smaller scale. This one is about 2 1/2 x 2 inches. 


 
My Weekend Homework assignment to myself:
Draw seven more faces at this smaller scale with different expressions & angles.